HUMANE offers three unique international professional development programmes aimed at developing the careers of senior managers of professional services in higher education
Whether seeking a step change in institutional efficiency, responding to drastic shifts in higher education policy and financing, extending an institution’s international reach, or repositioning academic strategy to improve competitive advantage, many European universities are initiating strategic transformation programmes.
One of the greatest barriers to achieving sustainable institutional change is insufficient depth of change leadership and management, with the necessary technical and soft skills to work effectively in academic settings.
Our professional development programmes aim to address this challenge by offering participants a unique, multi-cultural and immersive learning experience:
- Winter School – held in Barcelona in early March, focused on the management of policy and strategy change in relationship to internationalisation
- Summer School – held in Berlin in September, focused on the management of professional services transformation
- Transnational Partnerships School – held in Kuala Lumpur in November, focused on managing changes in the nature of partnership with East Asian universities.
Residential School goals
Our residential schools assume that future higher education leaders must be adaptable to rapid shifts in the operating environment, flexible in the change processes they deploy to meet these challenges, and agile in the ways they manage and work. Our Schools adopt a multi-disciplinary, cross-functional approach and aim to give participants:
- a deeper understanding of the global forces and of the industry trends driving change in HE
- access to institutional case studies to amplify these forces for change in a practical way, and the opportunity to engage with senior people from these institutions
- a greater understanding of the leadership, governance and management approaches adopted in diverse environments to effect change
- the opportunity to engage in self-reflection on the implications of these changes for their own personal career development, and
- access to an international peer network of liked-minded professionals.
The programmes are highly interactive and experiential in character. They are based on a multi-dimensional, matrix programme structure, where theory and practice are brought together via multi-cultural teams working on institutional case studies .
Participants are exposed to many alternative viewpoints. The learning by doing approach is enhanced through exchanges between peers who work in a variety of different management positions in their institutions.
The simulation of real life situations enables rapid upskilling for participants in collaborative problem-solving and communication skills, as well as creating personal bonds to underpin international professional peer networks.
Application process and School dates
The target audience for these programmes is fast-rising senior university managers with real potential for future leadership and the capacity to become influential senior managers.
The Schools are particularly valuable for managers who are keen to break out of being labelled as “specialists”, and who want to broaden their exposure to new and different ways of solving strategic challenges.
Participants must be nominated by their own senior leader/manager so that institutional support is clear.
Applications must include:
- A one-page statement
- A short curriculum vitae
- A supporting letter from your senior manager.
Transnational Partnerships School
Freie Universität Berlin
UPF Barcelona School of Management
University of Nottingham Malaysia
September 10 to 15, 2023
March 26 to 31, 2023
November 12-17, 2023
Upon successful completion of the Schools, you will receive a Professional Certificate.
Residential School Alumni Network
The HUMANE Alumni network of former residential school participants enables you to:
- further develop your international professional network
- exchange ideas and experience
- further develop your career in university leadership and management by deepening your understanding of what other universities are doing
- attend seminars and workshops relating to management in Higher Education.
The page for the Alumni Network can be accessed: here